Saturday, August 3, 2013

First Portrait

 With votes topping out at 249, this is the winning photograph for my For Your Service project.  With limited information to go on, I have gone ahead and started the first painting.  I'm thinking of my own experience heading toward Afghanistan.  After the commercial flights with everyone where it was a little easier to feel normal, we separated off on military flights where the whole idea of where we were heading began to feel much more real.  Thoughts of what would greet us when we landed kept spinning through my head.  Looking around, most soldiers had their eyes closed.  Ahead was a year of unknown, but we were ready.



For Your Service is about all of those moments we as U.S. military service members go through.  I continue to have hope that this project will be successful. I am not at all good at marketing or figuring out how to spread the word.  I paint- that is what I do, but I am doing what I can to keep this project alive.  I am hoping that as I do this first portrait, it will shed a little light on the project for those that are "following" that haven't looked into what it is really about.
I have pursued my art projects all in my free time, and with a full time job, full time school, the Army Reserve, and everything else a mortgage and car payment entail, there is very little time left.  I recently listed a few older pieces and some new Minis! on Ebay to fund the project, but nothing has come of it so far.  Selling online hasn't been a lucrative avenue for a few years, but I thought it was worth a shot.



I will continue to post updates on the project here, as well as on the Facebook page.

No comments: